REACHING OUT LOCALLY
MEALS ON WHEELS
- “Meals on Wheels” is an ongoing service to recipients in our community who can no longer make a nutritious meal for themselves. The hot, affordable, well-balanced meals are imperative to guarantee independence and health of clients.
- Emma Carruthers schedules volunteers from Avondale to drive and deliver meals for two weeks each quarter (Jan., Apr., July, and Oct.). Volunteers are welcome; please contact Emma if interested in this worthwhile service.
- We have a basket centre to receive donations for the Avondale Food Shelf, Shelterlink and Emily Murphy Centre.
- Many thanks to congregation members that donate to these organizations and to the volunteers who deliver donated items to Shelterlink and the Emily Murphy Centre.
THE GO PROJECT
- Avondale (a joint activity between Faith Formation and Outreach) has hosted the United Church’s ‘Go Project’ summer camp for children in Grades 2 and up.
- Campers, youth volunteers, and staff leaders take part in a lively and fun filled week of activities. Thank you to the numerous volunteer drivers who took the campers and leaders to various locations in the area.
- For details about the program: http://www.thegoproject.ca/
“SOUP’S ON” THE ALZHEIMNER SOCIETY
- The Alzheimer Society’s ‘Soup’s On’ is held every year in January. Avondale United has participated for the last several years. THANK YOU to all Avondale congregation volunteers.
EMILY MURPHY CENTRE
- An important part of the Outreach Team’s work has been with the Emily Murphy Centre in Stratford. Each year the Team has focused on needs or projects to assist the Centre.
Every February the Coldest Night of the Year is held in Stratford to support the Shelterlink services in Stratford. This is a family-friendly walk to raise awareness and funds for the basic needs of food and shelter for homeless and at-risk youth.
THE GIVING TREE
- The Giving Tree is on display in the winter months to accept donated hats, mittens, scarves and socks.
- Donated items are given to Shelterlink, Emily Murphy Centre, and our own Food Shelf clients.
REACHING OUT NATIONALLY AND INTERNATIONALLY
UNITED CHURCH MISSION AND SERVICE FUND
- The Outreach Team highlights different areas (usually in monthly in service videos) where donations to the United Church of Canada’s Mission and Service funds are used.
- This allows congregation members the opportunity to purchase Christmas gifts for their family and friends
- Some of the Charities/organizations offered are the following: Avondale Food Shelf, Sleeping Children Around the World, HOPE Orphanage, Kenya, Camp Bimini, Days for Girls – Hygiene Kits, and the United Church’s Gifts with Vision catalogue
The Youth Work Experience Fund
- to provide some financial assistance to youth ( ages 16-24 ) who wish to work on projects in Canada & abroad.
“Youth Work Experience Fund” recognizes:
- the value of volunteerism to help others & to gain personal life experience.
- service of time, talent & energy youth can provide to needy areas of our world.
- financial assistance is needed by young people to participate in such projects.
- To learn more about this opportunity, contact Outreach Chair, or Ruth Sealey. Application forms and terms of reference are available from the church office administrator. Upon completion of the application form, it is submitted to Outreach Chair for consideration and approval by the Outreach Team.