The Food Shelf operates at the AVONDALE site every Friday and is open 9:30-11am
The Foodshelf is co-ordinated by the Avondale Outreach Team who continue to reach out locally through this program. What began as a single shelf has grown to numerous shelves, a full size frig and 2 freezers as we strive to meet the needs of our patrons. Many of those we serve find themselves existing on low incomes and their financial resources simply do not stretch far enough to buy sufficient food for the month. On average we serve 70-80 clients per month.
Our focus is healthy food choices, helping to build a healthy community. Fresh produce, dairy items, meat, spice/meal kits and non-perishables are available weekly.
We are most grateful for your ongoing donations of food items or financial support.
Non-perishable food items can be left in the “Donation Depot” on Sundays. ( currently located in the Avondale Narthex ) During the week, items can be left with Yvonne at the church office.
Suggestions for donations:
- milk, cheese, yogurt, butter/margarine, eggs
- bread (whole wheat/multi-grain)
- fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables
- canned chick peas, kidney beans, black beans, lentils, tomatoes
- boxed or canned broth (chicken, beef or vegetable)
- peanut butter
- canned tuna/salmon
- mayonaise, salad dressings, ketchup
- shampoo, shower gels, bar soaps, deordorant, toothpaste, toothbrushes
- toilet paper, Kleenex
- laundry/dish detergent